Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Semitish

On my blogroll I've got a link to a great blog, Abecedaria. A few months ago I wrote an email to the Abecedaria blogger saying the following:
I wanted to ask you about something that I believe I once saw somewhere online but I can't find now. It pertains to a Hebrew and Arabic alphabet reform that someone was proposing, an odd combination of the two alphabets. Does that ring a bell? If so, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me who is behind this so I can look it up. Thanks!
I was dan Abecedaria lekaf zechut, but she never replied to my email. But she did post about it and she did do the work for me! Meanwhile, here I am four months later first realizing that she found exactly what I was looking for. So thanks, Abecedaria.

Down to business: this is about Semitish. Semitish is an alphabet reform proposed by someone named Nizar Habash. He proposes to [I'm not sure what, really] by working out an alphabet which could replace Hebrew and Arabic. (Yes, I realize that he has a political/ artistic point and I am well aware of "Israstine"/ Binational state proposals and their history--I present this purely because I think alphabets are cool.)

So behold, Semitish:



I'm not really sure what my point was anymore, but I'm sure I had a good post planned in November!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
'